A Go-To Homemade Granola
If you have been skipping breakfast or grabbing something when you get to the office, you may be missing out on the healthy start that your body needs. By planning ahead and preparing your breakfast in advance you can save time, money and your health.
A good go-to recipe for a homemade granola can be used as a quick breakfast or as a snack you keep at your desk to eliminate the temptation of less healthy alternatives throughout the day.
Here are some tips for a Great Morning Granola:
- Start with good quality whole rolled oats. This is the basis of the recipe.
- Use sweeteners such as maple syrup, agave nectar, and honey.
- Use healthier plant based oils such as sunflower oil, coconut oil or organic canola oil.
- Have fun adding healthy things you love, such as almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, coconut flakes, apricots, raisins, goji berries... Add whatever you want! It's yours to enjoy.
Once it is made, simply store it in a glass jar and it will keep for a good couple of months.
By making your own granola, you will know exactly what is in it and avoid countless additives and preservatives that are found in store bought varieties.
To get you started here is a recipe we love. Remember that you can alter it to taste and use it to get your day started right.
GOLDEN MORNING GRANOLA
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup coconut or canola oil
- 3/4 cup pure organic maple syrup
- 1 tbsp rice milk
- 1 1/2 cup oat bran or quinoa flakes
- 3/4 cups sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1 cup of chopped almonds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups raisin, apricots or cranberries
Combine maple syrup, rice milk and coconut oil in a large saucepan and set aside.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl, except raisins (or any dried fruit you intend to add) and toss well. Add the oil maple mixture and stir together until the ingredients are well coated.
- Pour mixture into shallow pan or baking sheet with parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes, then stir and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in raisins and assorted dried fruits.
- Cool and store in air tight container.
- Serve in 1/2 cup portions with rice or almond milk, add into a cup of yogurt or eat it on its own. Enjoy the rest of your day!