This week's blog was written by Dr.Bulger giving up tips on how to prevent bad breath!
Halitosis, or bad breath, is an embarrassing problem that nearly everyone knows, yet few care to talk about. Our office can help you get to the bottom of this problem and provide simple solutions to prevent bad breath.
Bad breath has many causes: odor-causing foods, tooth decay, gum disease, bacteria growing on the tongue, dry mouth, use of tobacco products, sinus or respiratory infections, some medical disorders, improperly cleaned dentures, inadequate oral hygiene, or some medications. We can help find the cause of bad breath and if it's due to an oral condition, we can set up a treatment plan to eliminate this problem. Treatment may be easier than you imagine.
Here are some quick tips for preventing bad breath:
1. Schedule regular dental visits for a professional cleaning and checkup. Keep a log of what you eat. Avoid constant use of breath mints and other hard candies containing sugar. They will only temporarily mask bad breath and can lead to tooth decay.
2. Make a list of over-the-counter and prescribed medications that you take. Some may play a role in causing bad breath.
3. Look for oral hygiene products that display the CDA Seal of Acceptance, a symbol of safety and effectiveness.
4. Brush twice a day with a CDA accepted fluoride toothpaste to remove food and plaque. Brush your tongue, too. Once a day, use floss or an inter-dental cleaner to clean between teeth.
5. If you wear removable dentures, take them out at night. Clean them thoroughly before putting them back in your mouth the next morning.
6. If you feel you must constantly use a breath freshener or mouthwash to hide unpleasant breath, see me so we can get to the root of the problem.