The following are ways to reduce your child's risk of tooth decay:
- Sugary foods and drinks should be consumed only with meals. Saliva production increases during meals and helps neutralize acid production and rinses food particles from the mouth.
- Limit between-meals snacks. If children crave a snack, offer them nutritious foods.
- If your children chew gum, choose sugarless with xylitol or recaldent. Chewing sugarless gum after eating can increase saliva flow and help wash out food and decay-producing acid.
- Monitor beverage consumption. Instead of soft drinks or power drinks, children should drink water or low-fat milk.
- Help your children develop good brushing and flossing habits. Parents should assist their children until age 10.
- Schedule regular dental visits.
For more information click here