Molten Lava cakes are relatively easy to make, look great and the batter is forgiving. These delicious cakes are great for dinner parties because they bake for only 8 to 10 minutes; you can put these in the oven while you're making the coffee for dessert.
Original recipe makes 8 servings
- 1 cup unsalted butter or unsalted margarine
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 8 extra-large paper muffin cups (or use regular paper muffin cups, which will make 12 cakes)
- 1 (6 ounce) container raspberries, barely moistened and rolled in about
- 1/2 cup icing sugar right before serving
- Melt butter and chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water; remove from heat.
- Beat eggs, sugar and salt with a hand mixer in a medium bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Beat egg mixture into chocolate until smooth.
- Beat in flour until just combined. (Batter can be made a day ahead; return to room temperature an hour or so before baking.)
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a standard-size muffin tin (1/2 cup capacity) with 8 extra-large muffin papers (papers should extend above cups to facilitate removal). Spray muffin papers with vegetable cooking spray. Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake until batter puffs but center is not set, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Carefully lift cakes from tin and set on a work surface. Pull papers away from cakes and transfer cakes to dessert plates.
- Top each with sugared raspberries and serve immediately.