Russian Mushroom and Potato Soup
Nothing beats the comfort of a warm and filling bowl of soup on a cold, snowy day. Here's a simple and delicious comfort soup recipe for you and your family to enjoy.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Cooking Time: 40 mins
- 5 tbsp. butter, divided
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp. dried dill weed
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Fresh dill weed, for garnish (optional)
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Mix in leeks and carrots, and cook 5 minutes. Pour in broth. Season with dill, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Mix in potatoes, cover, and cook 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender but firm. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Melt the remaining butter in a skillet over medium heat, and saute the mushrooms 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Stir into the soup.
- In a small bowl, mix the half-and-half and flour until smooth. Stir into the soup to thicken. Garnish each bowl of soup with fresh dill to serve.
Recipe courtesy: All Recipes