Roasted Spiced Squash Soup with Asian Pear
We have the recipe for you!
This delicious soup recipe is full of warm, comforting flavours like cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin.
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 – 2 kabocha squash halved
- 1 butternut squash halved and seeded
- 1 cup yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallot finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice minced
- 2 Asian pears peeled and chopped
- 8 cups water
- pomegranate seeds or roasted pumpkin seeds for garnish
- Preheat oven at 425F Line sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl whisk the allspice, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Brush the inside flesh of the squash with spice mixture and arrange the squash cut side down on the pan. Roast for 30 minutes or until soft. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While squash is roasting, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the reserved spice mixture in pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and pinch of salt and cook until the onions turn a light golden brown.
- Add the shallots, saute for about 3 minutes and add the ginger and pears.
- Continue to saute for another 3-5 minutes or until fruit softens and turns brown.
- As the mixture starts to stick to the bottom of the pot, deglaze with 1 cup of water. Loosen all the bits from the bottom for a great added flavor.
- Add 3 more cups of water and simmer.
- When the squash has cooled, scoop the flesh into the onion fruit mixture. Mash the squash mixture with back of wooden spoon and add 4 more cups of water.
- Gently simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into blender in small batches or use a hand blender and puree until smooth.